SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Ventnor West

In 1897 a temporary terminus was opened at St. Lawrence when the Isle of Wight Central Railway's line from Merstone reached there in 1897, with the line finally reaching Ventnor Town, as it was originally named, in 1900. There were plans to extend further towards the town itself, thereby creating a far more convenient destination than the Isle of Wight Railway's Ventnor station, but these did not materialise, partly due the the ailing state of the company'S finances and partly due to recently built housing on the proposed route.

Two platforms were provided though the second one, which had no buildings, was rarely used. There were several sidings and a goods and coal yard but, in common with many stations it was situated a good mile from the town itself, so after the grouping in 1923 the Southern Railway renamed it as Ventnor West. The station closed in common with the others on the line on 13th September 1952

St Lawrence

The imposing frint view of Ventnor West station.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

St Lawrence

The end elevation view of the station building and the platform canopy.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

St Lawrence

Here a push-pull train has just left, propelled by an unknown O2 Class engine.

photograph: Peter Richards collection

 

St Lawrence

Pull-push set Nº503 in the main platform road. The shed in the above photograph has now been removed.

photograph: Peter Richards collection

 

This page was created 27 June 2021

Index to IoW pages

SR Target