SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Shanklin

Shanklin station, built in 1864 and extended in 1881, was the third one going north from Ventnor, but these days is the terminus for the truncated, electrified, "Island Line" route from Ryde. The station is now a Grade II listed building. Originally provided with two platforms connected via a subway, this was reduced to jst one when the line onward to Ventnor was closed. The second platform was then turned into a flower bed and the subway filled.

 

Shanklin

Shanklin station looking spruce and clean in April 1966.

photograph by Ray Soper

 

Shanklin

O2 Class NºW19 Osborne enters the station from the north circa 1953. The vehicle that appears to be a Van B the other side of the fence is standing on a short dock road.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

O2 Class NºW18 Ningwood waits for departure from Sandown whilst a pram is loaded onto the train in the opposite platform on 19th July 1965.

photograph by Mike Morant

 

Sandown

O2 Class NºW18 leaving Sandown a brief while later on this lovely summer’s day.

photograph by Mike Morant

 

Shanklin

O2 Class NºW27 Merstone and train pulling out of Shanklin station for Ventnor on the last day of services to and from Ventnor, 17th April 1966.

photograph by Ray Soper

 

Shanklin

O2 Class NºW27 and train joining the single line just outside the station.

photograph by Ray Soper

This page was created 22 January 2003

Index to IoW pages

SR Target