Always a quiet and peaceful place inbetween trains! The buildings were actually sited on what was the passing loop and this photo was taken before it was taken out of use due to subsidence. In 1953 the station was reduced to the status of unmanned halt. Thirteen years later the Isle of Wight Steam Railway took over the halt from BR(S) on 21st February 1966.
photograph by Ron Hersey
Ashey station, between Smallbrook Junction and Haven Street, is today just a single platform halt where trains only call on request. When the Ryde to Newport line opened Ashey had the only passing loop and was provided with a substantial station house. Due to subsidence the platform with the station house (now closed) was taken out of use and replaced by a basic shelter on the other side of the line. At one time there was a siding provided for a chalk quarry that was also used for the occasional race train in connection with horse racing at West Ashey.
O2 Nº16 Ventnor runs through Ashey with a return working from Cowes to Ryde. The only comfort for the traveller was the rather primitive shelter provided when the other platform was taken out of use.
photograph by Keith Harwood
This page was last updated 19 June 2021.