SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Carisbrooke

Carisbrooke station was opened by the Freshwater Yarmouth & Newport Railway in 1879 and was closed when all traffic was withdrawn by British Railways in 1953. There was a 200 yards long siding behind the platform which was rarely used other than during WWII when prisoners from Parkhurst were employed loading sugar beet into wagons. At one time carisbrooke had been one of the busiest stations on the Island thanks to visitors to carisbrooke Castle, but once bus services were established this traffiv evaporated and the station was little used subsequently.

Carisbrooke

The station about the time of closure, long downgraded to a halt, empty and forlorn. Still plenty of posters exhorting people to "Travel by Train", but where are the people to read the posters? In their car or on the bus!

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Carisbrooke

A similar view of the station. The horizontal white board is on the buffer stop for the long-overgrown and disused siding.

photograph by Ron Hersey

This page was created 25 June 2021

Index to IoW pages

SR Target