SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Ryde

Ryde was blessed with two stations, Esplanade, originally named Pier Gate, and St John's Road, originally named just Ryde (plus of course, the Pier Head station). The first station at Esplanade was for a horse-drawn tramway along the pier from 1864, subsequently extended through the streets to St John's. Then in 1880 the original station was replaced with a new one following construction of the St John's tunnel allowing the Isle of Wight Railway to extend to Esplanade from St John's, opened to traffic on 20th December 1875. Also in 1880 the joint LBSCR/LSWR railway along the pier was opened, making it now possible to travel from Ventnor to the Solent ferry in one journey, an event that after arbitration earned the IWR £1,033 compensation for loss of business at their St John's Road refreshment room!

Esplanade

Ryde

O2 Class NºW22 Brading awaiting departure from Ryde Esplanade for Pierhead. For some reason there are two up trains in the platforms at the same time.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

NºW22 has been joined by NºW27 Merstone. The reason for this is not known but it could be, as both trains were due to connect with the same ferry, if the former were running late that the latter was let into the station on the down line to minimize the delay.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

NºW22 has now left, leaving NºW27 as the sole occupier of the station.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

Finally it is NºW27's turn to depart for Pierhead and the waiting ferry.

Well, that's one explanation, if anyone knows for certain what the true course of events was, we'd be pleased to learn about it!.

photograph by Keith Harwood

St John's

Ryde

Nº35 Freshwater pauses at Ryde St Johns with a train for Ryde Pierhead on 3rd September 1961. This was one of two IoW O2s that were fitted with push-pull apparatus.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas

Ryde

O2 Class Nº29 Alverstone is about to be presented with the single line token at Ryde St Johns for the single line section beyond Smallbrook Junction on the Sandown/Ventnor line on the last day for the Ventnor section.

photograph by Ray Soper

Ryde

With the token aboard the train is now ready to depart. This is obviously a winter photograph as in the summer period the line from Ryde St Johns to Smallbrook Junction was worked as double track.

photograph by Ray Soper

Ryde

Another O2 Class, appears to be NºW31 Chale, and train in the platform at Ryde St.John's Road.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

NºW35, Freshwater pauses at the platform.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

O2 Class NºW35 Freshwater at the head of a train for Cowes in Ryde St John's Road station. Looking pretty deserted, it is just one week before closure, though this station was to re-open with a new, electric, train service to Shanklin.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

O2 Class NºW24 Calbourne at the head of a train for Cowes in Ryde St John's Road station. Behind the train can be seen the sheds at the end of the CME's sidings.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Ryde

Set 497 behind an unidentified O2 on a train for Ryde Pier Head whilst another unidentified O2 runs into the loop platform.

photograph by Ray Soper

This page was last updated 3 July 2010

Index to IoW pages

SR Target