SREmG
 

Please be aware of our copyright notice. If you have a good reaon for using a photo from this site ask permission from first - it is frequently given.

Sandown

Sandown station, the one-time junction for the lines to Ryde and to Newport and Cowes, was opened in 1864 though the original station building was extended between 1870 and 1871 through the addition of a two-storey extension to act as station offices. Between 1st January and 20th March 1967 the station was closed whilst the line was adapted for electric trains, then closed again for much of 2021 whilst the electificaion was upgraded.

Sandown

The front and forecourt of the station as it was in the early 1950s.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

A further view of the station forecourt in the early 1950s.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

The main platform.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

The island platform with a train for the Newport line.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

The view from the station looking south towards Ventnor.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

The north end of the station with the line to Neport furthest away.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

A view from the main platform of the island platform and its passenger facilities. The Signalbox is just visible above the canopy.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

A more distant view of the station with a better view of the Signalbox, looking north.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

Sandown

O2 Class Nº33 Bembridge with a Ryde-bound train in the station.

photograph by Ron Hersey

 

This page was created 26 June 2021

Index to IoW pages

SR Target